Xbox 720 release date, specs and rumours
The Xbox 720 is gearing up to be released, according to rumours. We know that the Playstation 4 exists, so now would be a great time for Microsoft to release it’s next-generation console, the Xbox 720.
Microsoft has not yet confirmed if they will be releasing a new Xbox and declined to comment on the speculation, however, that isn’t to say that the rumours are not true. Current speculations and some pretty strong evidence suggests that the Xbox 720 will be released by Christmas 2013, which sounds pretty logical if you ask me, and would be the perfect time to contend with the Playstation 4. Some speculations about the Xbox 720:
Xbox 720 release date
The speculation about the Xbox 720 release date is varied, but some reasonable sources have concluded the release date could be 1 of two possibilities. The first being that Microsoft intend to announce the Xbox 720 release date at a small event, away from E3 and chances are that it could be very soon as well if they want to stand a chance at contending the Playstation 4.
Another possibility is that Microsoft will announce the Xbox 720 release date at E3, According to a Bloomberg report last November. The E3 event will take place in Berlin June 2013 where PS4 are expected to unveil the Playstation 4. So this seems like a fairly logical time to release the Xbox 720, too.
Xbox 720 specs
The Xbox 720 is rumoured to use AMD graphics hardware, such as the Playstation 4. Not long ago, VGLeaks published what they believe to be the Xbox 720’s specifications. The accuracy of this report is questionable. Microsoft have not commented on this, but a few big gaming sites suspect it to be accurate.
Below is a break down of the rumoured Xbox 720’s specs, according to VGLeaks post:
– x64 Architecture
8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)
– Each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache
– Each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache
– Each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources
– Each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock
Storage and Memory:
– 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)
– 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)
– from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec
– Hard drive is always present
– 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive
– Gigabit Ethernet
– Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct
– Move engines
– Image, video, and audio codecs
– Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware
– Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing
Xbox 720 Price
Again, no solid evidence for the price of the Xbox 720. A leaked document last year suggested the price of the Xbox 720 being around $300 – this sounds way too good to be true. We cannot confirm the price of the Xbox 720, but we’d assume they would be a lot more than $300, same as the Playstation 4.